Ah, fall. The crispness of the air, the changing colors of the leaves, the cozy sweaters....and of course the apples! It's my favorite season of the year for good reason.
I've been making cinnamon apple oatmeal on repeat for the past few days, but I wanted to change it up a bit. Inspired by my fellow dietitian Andy the RD, who is hosting a 30 day Plant-Based Breakfast Challenge, I'm on a mission to showcase how plant-based breakfasts can be nutritious, delicious, and full of variety. I've got the nutritious and delicious part down, but variety at breakfast is a challenge for me! For lunch and dinner, I have no trouble being creative and rotating dishes. But for breakfast, I am a creature of habit and tend to eat the same thing most days. So this challenge is my commitment to myself and to you to show that vegan can be versatile!
Which brings me to these overnight oats.
Beautiful aren't they? This recipe came about a bit my accident. I ran out of cinnamon and was in a panic. What will I flavor my oats with?! And then I had a brain blast: T E A.
That's right, tea! I got a great deal on Pumpkin Spice Brulee Oolong tea at Teavana the other day, and I thought the flavor profile would be a great fall complement to the apples. Plus, oolong tea is PACKED with antioxidants which give these oats a superfood punch! I also added hemp hearts for more superfood power, as they have a perfectly balanced omega-3 fat to omega-6 fat ratio, and are also a good source of iron and protein!
But anyways, back to the tea. I used tea for half of the liquid in this recipe and let me tell you, one of the best ideas I've ever had! But don't just take my word for it. You gotta make this ASAP.
Place all the dry ingredients in a pretty mason jar (I have also been known to use a plain tupperware container on occasion).
Then add the liquids.
Let sit in the fridge overnight. Then top with desired toppings and add a splash more non-dairy milk.
And then just let the flavors of fall explode in your mouth.
Tea-Infused Apple Overnight Oats (Vegan)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3 TB hemp hearts
- 1/2 an apple, chopped
- 1/4 c. brewed pumpkin flavor tea (I used Pumpkin Spice Brulee Oolong from Teavana)
- 1/4 c. cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- Toppings (granola, shredded coconut, berries, apples, whatever your heart desires!)
- Brew 1 c. of pumpkin flavored tea, set aside 1/4 c of it for the recipe. Sip on the leftovers!
- Add the oats, hemp seeds, and apple into any container with a lid (mason jar, tupperware)
- Add the 1/4 cup tea and the 1/4 cup of non-dairy milk to the container
- Cover and let sit in the fridge overnight
- Add desired toppings and a splash more of non-dairy milk if desired, stir all together, and dig in!